What is Ectopic Pregnancy
During a normal pregnancy, the ovary releases an egg into the fallopian tube, and then the egg travels and meets the sperm to be fertilized , the fertilized egg then moves into uterus and gets embedded to the lining, and thereof grows for 9 months and forms into a fully grown baby.
There are rare cases of pregnancies that take place and one of 50th pregnancy, when the ovary releases an egg the egg stays in the fallopian tube , this is called an "Ectopic Pregnancy" or a Tubal Pregnancy. This is rare in some women where the egg either stays in the fallopian tube or other wise or attaches itself elsewhere in another organ or in the abdomen. In this case there could arise an emergency, where immediate attention is needed , as the woman's life is in danger.
Ectopic pregnancy occurs during the first week of pregnancy and it is hard to find out, as the women may not be aware of it . After few weeks down the line, when you go for a checkup only then it is detected and doctors are bewildered after a through check up is done which more or less happens after 8 weeks of pregnancy.
It's sad when the woman cannot carry on the pregnancy as the fetus is lost , and only after sometime according to the doctors advice can the couple try to get pregnant again. It is not a negative sign as there is hope to have a healthy baby again the next time.
Ectopic Pregnancy(Symptoms which occur)
- Bleeding Light vaginal bleeding
- Feeling like vomiting,(Nausea)
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Cramps in the abdomen
- Feeling weak, or dizziness
- Pain either, on one side of the body, or in the shoulder,rectum and neck
- In case the fallopian tube tears, or ruptures, the pain or bleeding could be severe,this could lead to fainting
These are the common symptoms faced in an ectopic pregnancy , if you experience any of them you should go the hospital immediately and get treated, so that it can reduce the risk of hemorrhaging and save your chances of fertility.
Causes of an Ectopic Pregnancy
A damaged fallopian tube that does not let the egg to get fertilized into the uterus, so it gets implanted out side of the tube . It is difficult to say what caused the ectopic pregnancy , but it is very risky if you have a so called ectopic pregnancy.
If you have tried to avoid a pregnancy, and used contraceptives (birth control pills, or any form of device like UID) can cause an Ectopic Pregnancy.
- (PID) History of Pelvic Inflammatory disease
- Chlamydia/gonorrhea, during sexual intercourse , sexually transmitted diseases
- Abnormality (problems at birth which are congenital) in regards to the fallopian tube
- Surgery (History of pelvic surgery) (because scarring may block the fertilized egg from leaving the fallopian tube)
- Ectopic pregnancy previous history
- Sterilization, which was unsuccessful, tubal ligation or reversed
- Treatments (IVF)
Ectopic Pregnancy (Diagnosis)
If you are experiencing any symptoms of an Ectopic Pregnancy, at the hospital a pregnancy test, pelvic scan and an ultrasound would be conducted to view the uterus and see if there is any damage done to the fallopian tube or other wise.
If your physician confirms that you have an Ectopic pregnancy , he would treat you and give you medical advice on the future plans of having another pregnancy.